Muhammad Auwal Ibrahim, a 200 level student of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria and Fasilat Oluwuyi, an HND-2 student from Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, who are all students of mass communication as well as PTCIJ Campus Reporters, were selected alongside three other student-journalists.
Other recipients included Mohammed Yakubu, a final year student from Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, Odeyinka Oluwatobi, a 200 level student of the University of Ibadan and Ibrahim Kegbegbe Taofeek, an ND-2 student of Nigerian Institute of Journalism.
According to Shehu Olayinka, the organiser of the initiative, the five winners were selected out of the 61 entries received from 20 tertiary institutions across Nigeria.
“The successful applicants were selected from 61 entries submitted by student’s journalists from various institutions across Nigeria,” he said.
“The Lekan Otufodurin Journalists’ Award is glad to announce that five journalists have been named as finalists for the inaugural edition of the award.”
The five successful applicants were selected from 61 entries submitted by students journalists from various institutions across Nigeria.”
Olayinka explained that: “The first-prize winner of this inaugural award will receive N70,000, the second prize winner will bag N50,000 and the third prize will receive N30,000. There are other cash prizes for other winners.”
The winning entries were said to have been first published between January 1st, 2020 to January 31st, 2021.
The statement further added that: “The award winner will be announced on May 9th, 2021, as part of the birthday celebration of Lekan Otufodurin.”
Winning entries arranged serially:
- Mohammed Yakubu: Evicted By Guns: How Niger State Residents Lose Homes, Families To Violent Crimes, Kidnappings | HumAngle
- Muhammad Ibrahim: INVESTIGATION: How Nigerian State Governments Poorly Interacted with Citizens via Emails During COVID-19 Pandemic, Despite ICT Advancement – Abuja Business Reports
- Fasilat Oluwuyi: Between Waters and Fishes: How water pollution set lingering crisis for Ogun fishermen – Platform Times
- Ibrahim Kegbegbe Taofeek: Lekki Conservation Centre: Protecting Wildlife, Mangrove Forest From Urban Threat (Daily Trust)
- Oluwatobi Odeyinka: INVESTIGATION: Agency diverts boreholes to ex-head of state’s residence, lawmaker’s farm, while community drinks from the stream – Premiumtimesng.com
BRECAN: Ondo First Lady Inaugurates 7th Chapter in Bayelsa State
Chief (Mrs) Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, the First Lady of Ondo State and Founder of the Breast Cancer Association of Nigeria, BRECAN,…
AE-FUNAI Students Decry Poor Service At School Clinic; Management Promises Better Service
Students of the Alex Ekwueme Federal University Ndufu Alike Ikwo (AE-FUNAI) have lamented over the poor state of the school’s…