The government of Osun State has lifted the lockdown imposed on parts of Ijesa land. On Tuesday 7th July, four local government areas in the state were locked down as a result of a surge in the cases of COVID-19 in the area.
Osun was one of the states with the least number of cases until about two weeks ago when the cases began to rise due to suspected community transmission in Ilesa.
On Saturday the 4th of July, the state government in a release by the Commissioner for Information, Funke Egbemode, announced the decision of the government to lock down Ilesa East, Ilesa West, Atakumosa East and Atakumosa West Local government areas to curb the spread of the disease.
A statement signed by the Secretary to the State Government, Wole Oyebamiji stated that the State Government has approved a CONDITIONAL EASE of lockdown in the four local government areas with effect from the midnight of Monday 13th July 2020. Citizens are however warned against actions that sabotage the efforts of the government and are advised to adhere to the safety protocols and directives of the State Government in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
The full statement is reproduced below:
OSUN GOVT APPROVES CONDITIONAL EASE OF LOCKDOWN IN FOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS
It’s a week already since the precision lockdown in the four local government areas of the state. The affected areas: Ilesha East, Ilesha West, Atakumosa East and Atakumosa West; were locked down by an order of the State Government as part of measures to contain the recent surge in the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the State.
2. The four local government areas had to be locked down with effect from Tuesday 7th July 2020 upon discoveries that community transmission of the coronavirus was active in that axis of the State.
3. The State Government appreciates the people of Ijeshaland for the level of compliance to the lockdown directive. Although there were reports of breaches and violations, a commendable percentage showed responsibility through their compliance.
4. The State Government also appreciates the efforts of the Joint Task Force that oversaw the enforcement of the week-long lockdown, as well as the services of healthcare workers and media professionals.
5. It is imperative to note that the condition that necessitated the precision lockdown – community transmission – is still active in the areas.
6. However, based on undertakings and assurance received from traditional and religious leaders as well as civil society groups within the axis, that compliance with safety guidelines shall be strictly adhered to going forward; the State Government has approved a CONDITIONAL EASE of lockdown in the four local government areas with effect from the midnight of Monday 13th July 2020.
7. Physical meetings and mass gatherings in any form remain banned in that axis and indeed throughout the state till further notice.
8. Notwithstanding the ease of the lockdown, enforcement of safety protocols – especially the use of nose mask in public places – must be continued in the axis, and non-adherents will be sanctioned.
9. The State Government wishes to reiterate that any form of breakdown in adherence to the safety protocols against COVID-19 in the four local government areas, shall force the government to reimpose the lockdown.
10. The State Government under the leadership of Governor Adegboyega Oyetola will do everything necessary to protect the lives and properties of citizens from actual and potential dangers.
11. Citizens are therefore warned against actions that sabotage the efforts of the government, by adhering to the safety protocols and directives of the State Government in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
12. The State Government seizes this opportunity to remind Osun citizens to wash their hands regularly, use alcohol-based sanitizer, wear a face mask and maintain social distance.
Prince Wole Oyebamiji
Secretary to the State Government
Akeredolu Congratulates Ondo APC Chairman-Elect
The Ondo State Governor, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu (SAN) has congratulated the elected Chairman of the Ondo State Chapter of…
AE-FUNAI Students Call For Digitisation of School’s Accounting Department
Students of Alex Ekwueme Federal University Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State have decried the poor quality of services rendered to them by…