The Management of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile – Ife, Osun has paid earned allowances to its workers in line with the sharing ratio, that fueled the industrial crisis, which led to the emergency closure of the school at the beginning of the month.
The controversial sharing ratio is 89:11. While the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, took 89 per cent, the three non-teaching unions – Non Academic Staff Union (NASU), Senior Staff Association of Nigeria University (SSANU) and National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT) – were paid the remaining 11 per cent.
OAU’s spokesperson, Abiodun Olarewaju confirmed the development on Wednesday. He said the disbursement of allowances, despite protests, was in compliance with the directive of the Federal Government that the money be released to every segment of the workforce.
He did not state exact amount paid to each of the unions.
“With this development, the management, therefore, appeals to its striking workers to sheath their sword and allow peace to reign on campus,” said, Mr. Olanrewaju, extending the appeal of the management to the protesting non-teaching unions to disembark from strike to bring the university to life again.
Reacting on behalf of the aggrieved unions, OAU SSANU chairman, Ademola Oketunde, hinted at the unchanging stance of the unions.
“Despite protest and strike against sharing formula, they went ahead to pay,” Mr. Oketunde noted in interview with CAMPUS REPORTER. “We were in Akure today for press briefing. The strike is still in full scale as earned allowance received by them to is only a bonus. They cannot deceive us.”
The non-teaching staff commenced strike on Monday, December, in making firm their to the sharing formula of the fund released by the federal government further to a resolution of the last ASUU indefiinite strike. For two days, they cut vital services, including electricity and water supplies to the academic area,students’ halls of residence and staff quarters. At the same time, they shut down the school’s medical centre and the staff school, capping off actions preceded shutting the main access gate to the university.
With everything brought to a total halt, the management announced “near year break” and asked students to go home “with immediate effect”. The convocation ceremony originally settled for this month was also postponed.
BRECAN: Ondo First Lady Inaugurates 7th Chapter in Bayelsa State
Chief (Mrs) Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, the First Lady of Ondo State and Founder of the Breast Cancer Association of Nigeria, BRECAN,…
AE-FUNAI Students Decry Poor Service At School Clinic; Management Promises Better Service
Students of the Alex Ekwueme Federal University Ndufu Alike Ikwo (AE-FUNAI) have lamented over the poor state of the school’s…